Sunday, June 7, 2009

Well I am finally here. I left houston at 5:00 pm Friday because the plane was late which caused me to miss my plane to Cairo from Heathrow at 9:15 am London time. So I had to get on a plane at 3:00 pm London time which put me in Cairo at 10:30 local time. When I got to Cairo I had to go through health screening cameras to make sure I was not running a fever and fill out a health card in order to enter the country. After that i was met by a man whom I mistook for Mr. Samir who actually was just a driver for the WorldFish Center, and he helped me get through passport control. and into the main area where I actually met Mr. Samir. We then loaded up into the car and drove from the airport to (much to my surprise) a grocery store where Mr. Samir helped me to purchase about a weeks worth of food for myself. This grocery store was nuts for 11:30 at night and there were tons of people still shopping. Mr. Samir then bought me dinner at McDonalds of all places and we drove the 1 hour drive to Abbassa and to the WorldFish Center. I took a shower and then went to bed and slept until about 1:30 pm local time when I was awakened by a phone call from Dr. Gamal he asked how I was doing and if I needed anything and said that he would take me around the center tomorrow because many people were gone today so I have esentially just uunpacked my clothes, I took a walk around the campus, and have been watching the star trek movies today. My apartment is very nice and well furnished and has internet Wifi obvously.

Last night I realized that I was very alone here right now because I know essentially no one, and I was a little homesick I guess. I think that once I begin to get to know people and start actually working that this will go away, but I miss every one at home a lot right now.

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment